Education and Training
- Environmental Sciences, Ph.D – University of Texas, School of Public Health, Houston, TX. 1997
- MSc Medical Entomology 1990 – Vector Control Research Center (World Health Organization), Pondicherry, India. 1990
- Zoology BSc – Womens Christian College, Madras, India, 1988
Primary Research Capability: Immune suppression, bone biology, tissue engineering, cardiovascular biomarkers and nutritional immunomodulation.
- Upstream targets in lymphocyte signaling in microgravity
- Adaptive genetic response gene suites in microgravity, hypergravity and high altitude stress
- Lymphocyte locomotion and signal transduction in microgravity
- Immune suppression, cardiovascular biomarkers and nutritional immunomodulation.
- Bone tissue engineering and resorption models
- Melanoma models in microgravity
- Particulate and nanoparticulate toxicity models
- Three dimensional mathematical tissue modeling of heavy ion effects.
Other Research Capabilities
- Molecular Methods
Extraction of plasmid DNA, Purification of DNA & RNA, Southern and Northern blot hybridization, Restriction and elution of DNA fragments, Ligation reactions, Transformation of bacteria, Polymerase chain reaction, RT-PCR, Real time PCR, Transfection of mammalian cells, Subcloning using viral and non-viral vectors, RNase protection Assay, Gel-shift assays, Nuclear run on Assay,Screening cDNA libraries.
- Protein Methods
SDS (Sodium dodecyl sulfate) Polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis, Western blotting, Immunoprecipitation, Protein purification, ELISA (Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay), 2-D gels, Chromatography, Fluorometry.
- Cell Biology and Immunology Tissue engineering, tissue culture and cell line development from human biopsies, mammalian cell culture (Bone cells, lymphocytes, colon carcinomas, NHL-B
lymphoma cell lines, neuroblastoma, leukemia, melanoma, AIDS lymphoma, alveolar macrophage, Burkitts lymphoma), Thymidineincorporation assay, Isolation of B and T cells, Immunohistochemistry, Immunofluorescence techniques , Confocal microscopy, Mammalian tissue culture and maintenance, Drug Testing and Bioassay, Analysis of apoptosis in lymphoid cells, Cell adhesion assays, Lymphocyte locomotion assay, Popliteal lymph node assay, Parasite culture techniques FISH, In situ hybridization, Thymidine incorporation assay, B cell activation assay. 4. Biochemical, Animal and Environmental Science Techniques Liposomal formulation of drugs, Glutathione S transferase assay, Superoxide dismutase assay, GTPase assay, Rodent lung lavage, Transgenic mouse colony maintenance, Rodent injections, General animal techniques, radiation techniques, soil analysis, microbial analysis, air sampling.
- Bioreactor Methods Bioreactor (NASA RWV and HARV) cell culture and detoxification. Research Interest Keywords: Projects Upstream targets in lymphocyte signaling in microgravity Adaptive genetic response gene suites in microgravity, hypergravity and high altitude stress Lymphocyte locomotion and signal transduction in microgravity Immune suppression, cardiovascular biomarkers and nutritional immunomodulation. Bone tissue engineering and resorption models Melanoma models in microgravity Particulate and nanoparticulate toxicity models Three dimensional mathematical tissue modeling of heavy ion effects.
Recent Publications (out of a total of xxx)
Books or Monographs
Sundaresan A, Risin D and Pellis NR. Cell Growth in Microgravity. In: Meyers, R.A. , Sendtko, A. and Henheik, P. (eds.), Encyclopedia of Molecular Cell Biology and Molecular Medicine, Vol. 2, pp 303-321, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 2004.
- Sundaresan, A., Ponomarev, A., Vazquez, M., Guida, P., Kim, A., and Cucinotta, F., A Computer Model of the Effects of Heavy Ion Radiation on Human Tissue, Advances in Space Research, 47, pp 37-48, 2011.
- Sundaresan, A., Shah, S., Walker, P., Moore-Olufemi, S., Kulkarni, A., Andrassy, R., An Evidence based Review of a Lentinula edodes Mushroom Extract as Complementary Therapy in the Surgical Oncology Patient, JPEN July 2011 vol. 35 no. 4 449-458
- Sundaresan, A., Russomano, T., dos Santos, M., Bosquillon, C., Falcao,
F., Marriot, C., Forbes, B., Modeling the Effects of Microgravity on the Permeability of Air-Interface Respiratory Epithelial Cell Layers, Advances in Space Research, 46(6), pp 712-718, 2010.
Abstracts and Scholarly Papers
- Sundaresan, A., S. Mehta, B. A. Carabello, T. Schlegel, T. Russomano, M. Santos, C. Kaur, J. Reseland, C. M. Ott, N.R Pellis and D. Pierson, Placental Growth Factor (PlGf ) as a Biosignature of Inflammation in Microgravity-In Coronary Artery Disease and Stress, Accepted for Oral presentation at the International Academy of Aerospace Medicine Congress, Singapore, October 2010.
- Sundaresan, A., Tissue Like Assemblies in Analog Microgravity, Scandinavian Society of Biomaterials, Hafjell, Norway, April 12-16, 2010.
- Sundaresan, A., Space Toxicology for the Future, PlGf, a Possible Predictor for Cardiac Dysfunction in Microgravity, The European Low Gravity Research Association Conference and Interdisciplinary Transport Phenomena Conference, September and October, 2009.