Summer Undergraduate Research Experience
Texas Southern University’s NSF funded Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) Program is now accepting applications to join a dynamic research team to develop your research skills toward future careers and graduate school.
in Microbiology, Environmental Science, Biology, Environmental Chemistry, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Remote Sensing, Environmental Engineering.
10 Week Summer Program: May 29 to Aug 4, 2017 $5,000 Stipend
SURE Positions Available: 5
To apply, please send an application letter, curriculum vitae, unofficial copies of transcripts and contact information of three references to Dr. Maruthi Sridhar B.Bhaskar at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until March 5, 2017 or a suitable candidate is selected. Review of applications will begin on March 10, 2017 and will continue until the positions are filled. For more information contact: email@example.com; Phone: (713) 313-1388.
Please download the flyer here
Education and Training
- 1979-1982 B.Sc. Honors,University ofIbadan,Nigeria(Pharmacology
- 1988-1989 Postgraduate Certificate,StowCollege, Glasgow
- 1986-1989 Ph.D,University of Glasgow,Scotland. (Materia Medica/
- 1989 -1990 Postdoctoral Training, University Dept of Medicine &
Therapeutics, Glasgow. (Prof John L. Reid)
- 1990 -1992 Postdoctoral Associate,MichiganStateUniversityDept of
Molecular Microbiology.Lansing. (Prof Felipe Kierszenbaum)..
- 1992 -1994 NIH Postdoctoral Fellow,UniversityofTennessee, Dept of
Physiology,Memphis. (Prof Charles W. Leffler).
HONORS AND AWARDS
NSF Panelist 2013 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) Bridges Faculty to the Professoriate: Institute on Teaching and Mentoring (Compact Faculty diversity/SREB) 2012 Admitted Member: Mission Connect-The Institute for Rehabilitation and
Research (TIRR) 2011
TSU Faculty Excellence Award April 2011
Co-Chair, Vasospasm Signal Transduction Session: 10th International
Conference on Cerebral Vasospasm, Chongqing, China, October 8-12, 2009.
First Place: Best Oral Presenter, TSU Research Week 2009.
Chair and moderator: NHLBI 11th Annual Cardiovascular Research Awardees session Nov. 2003 (Orlando, FL)
NIH AREA award 2002-2006
Editor: BioMed Scientist 2002-
NIH: Scientist Award Co-PI 2001-
AHA (SE-Affiliate) Grant-In-Aid 2000-2003
NIH Research award 1996-2000
AHA (TN Affiliate) Grant-In-Aid 1996-1998
University of Tennessee Medical Group Research Award 1995-1996
Univ. TN, Memphis Award for Outstanding Services to the Science Enrichment Program 1992-1997.
NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, 1990-1992
British Medical Research Council Postdoctoral Research Assistantship, 1989-1990
The University of Maiduguri Study Fellowship, 1985-1989
Benue State Government Scholarship, 1979-1982
Field 1: Environmental Toxicants and Toxicology
Field 2: Vascular and Cerebrovascular Diseases: Diabetes, Hypertension, Stroke, Brain Injury
Field 3: Drug Development and Alternative Medicine: Synthesis and Evaluation of Metal complexes and Herbal Plants for Biological Activities
CURRENT AREA OF RESEARCH
- Synthesis and evaluation of metal complexes with thiourea/aromatic N-ligands as anticancer agents
- Molecular consequences of exposure to complex chemical mixtures
- Profiling and analysis of emerging contaminants in Houston drinking water sources.
- Analysis of herbal/ medicinal plants and their potential in alternative medicine and therapeutic
- Investigation of molecular targets for stroke treatments and cerebrovascular dysfunction
- Integrated analysis of exposure to single and multiple pesticides
- Environmental forensic: An integrated environmental research
Yakubu, MA, Sofola, OA, Igbo, I, nd Adebayo, AO. Streptozotocin-induced diabetes attenuates cAMP, nitric oxide synthase, and bradykinin-mediated relaxations. Bratislava Medical Journal 113, 2, 59-63, 2012; doi:10.4149/BLL_2012_014
Yakubu, MA, Anozie O, Nsaif, RH and Oyekan AO. Differential effects of tyrosine kinase protein kinase C on acute subarachnoid hemorrhage-induced changes in cerebral hemodynamics in rats. Brain Research (In review)
Yakubu, MA, Nsaif, RH and Oyekan AO. Regulation of PPAR expression and NO production in cerebrovascular endothelial cells by PKC. International Journal of Biomedical Sciences and Clinical Medicine (Bratislava Medical Journal) 2010; 111 (5), 258-264.
Anozie O, Ross R, Oyekan OA, Yakubu, MA. Differential modulation of bradykinin-induced relaxation of endothelin-1 and phenylephrine contractions of rat aorta by reactive oxygen species. Acta Pharmacologia Sinica. 2007; 28(10): 1566-1572.doi: 10.1111/j.1745-7254.2007.00631.x
Yakubu, MA, Nsaif, RH and Oyekan, OA. PPARI^+- activation-mediated regulation of ET-1 production via nitric oxide and protein kinase C signaling pathways in piglet cerebral microvascular endothelial cell culture. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2007, 14; 320(2):774-81; 2006 Nov 14; DOI: 10.1124/jpet.106.104992
- 1. Yakubu MA, Omobowale TO, Oyagbemi AA. Adedapo AA. (2016) Azadirachta Indica Ameliorates Ischemia/Reperfusion- and Hypertension-Induced Cardio-Renal Dysfunctions Mediated by Oxidative Stress. BIT’s 6th Annual International Congress of Medichem-2016 Theme: Efficient Creators of Future Therapy, Nanjing, China, November 16-19, 2016.
- Yakubu MA. (2016) The paradox of environmental poisonous gases: From environmental rotten egg hydrogen sulfide to gaso-therapeutics at the bedside. 13th International Symposium on Recent Advances in Environmental Health Research to be hosted by Jackson State University, September 11-14, 2016 at the Jackson Marriott Hotel in Jackson, Mississippi
- Yakubu MA, Brinkley NS, and Bessac B. (2016) Lindane (g-Hexachlororcclohexane) Exposure Impairs Ca2+-Mediated Vascular Reactivity. 13th International Symposium on Recent Advances in Environmental Health Research to be hosted by Jackson State University, September 11-14, 2016 at the Jackson Marriott Hotel in Jackson, Mississippi.
- Adedapo, AA, Oyagbemi AA, Fagbohun OA, Omobowale TO, Yakubu MA (2016). Evaluation of the anticancer properties of the methanol leaf extract of Chromolaena odorata on HT29 lung cancer cell line. FASEB J April 2016 30:1193.6
- Oyagbemi A., Omobowale T., Olowu, ER., Adedapo A., Oyekan AO., and Yakubu MA (2016) Kolaviron attenuated arsenic acid-induced cardiovascular dysfunction by enhancing antioxidant defense system and inhibiting inflammatory and apoptotic signaling pathways FASEB J April 2016 30:939.5
AFSCAN Research Award (UK) Molecular Characterization of Canine Parvovirus-2 Viruses Circulating in Dogs in Nigeria $9,045 (2016-2018): PI: Omóbòwálé TO, (University of Ibadan College of Veterinary Medicine, Collaborator/Mentee); Co-PI: Yakubu, MA.
IIE Grantee ID: 15410197: Carnegie African Diaspora Fellowship $25,650 (2014-2015): PI: Yakubu MA.
5R25HL003674-08: NIH: TSU Research Scientist Award: $3,975,708 (2001-2013) Co-PI: Yakubu MA.
1R15HL70669-01: NIH: Regulation of Cerebral Microvascular endothelin production (2002-2008). $180,802 PI: Yakubu, MA.
AHA (SE-Affiliate) Grant-In-Aid: Mechanisms of Inhibition of endothelial cyclooxygenase by blood hemolysates, $120,000 (2000-2002) PI: Yakubu, MA.
NIH Supplementary Award. Regulation of Cerebral Microcirculation. $250,000 (1996-2000) Awardee: Yakubu, MA,
FASEB/MARC: Grant writing Seminar/Workshop Award at Orlando, FL. ($1,900) Aug. 1999.
AHA (TN Affiliate) Grant-In-Aid. Roles of ET-1 and LPA in hematoma-induced changes in cerebral microcirculation. $50,000 (1996-1998) PI: Yakubu, MA
University of Tennessee Medical Group Research Award. Hematoma and cerebral vasoreactivity: Role of endothelin-1. $12,450, (1995-1999) PI: Yakubu, MA
Education and Training
- BS Biology (Zoology Honors), 1991, St. Xaviers College, Ranchi University, Ranchi, India
- MS Zoology (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), 1993, Center for Advanced Studies in Zoology, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
- Ph. D Biotechnology, 1997, School of Biotechnology, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
- Dissertation Title: In Vitro Activation of Murine Bone Marrow-Derived Macrophages: Role of Signal Transduction
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2001-2005, Department of Bio-immunotherapy/Experimental Therapeutics, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas
Shishir Shishodia, PhD is a Professor of Biology at Texas Southern University. He earned his PhD in Biotechnology from Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India, and did his postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. His research interests include cytokine signaling, the role of transcription factors in tumorigenesis, and modulation of transcription by natural products. He has identified several natural compounds that exhibit anticancer properties and has published over 60 peer-reviewed papers, 10 book chapters, and co-edited the books /Resveratrol in Health and Disease and The Molecular Targets and Therapeutic Uses of Curcumin in Health and Disease/. Dr. Shishodia is a recipient of the BHU Medal for securing highest grades in MS Zoology Program at Banaras Hindu University, India. He received the Theodore N. Law Odyssey Special Fellow Award for outstanding scientific achievements at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas and the Texas Southern University Scholarly Research/Creative Activities Excellence Award. At The College of Science and Technology, Texas Southern University, he was awarded the Distinguished Research Award, Distinguished Service Award and multiple Deans Leadership Awards.
Education and Training
- Ph.D. Environmental Chemistry/Oceanography (19962001), Texas A&M University, College Station, TX (Dissertation: Lysosomal responses to environmental contaminants in bivalves)
- M.S. Environmental Chemistry/Earth and Marine Sciences (19931995),Hanyang University, Korea (Thesis: Distribution and environmental fate of organotins in mussels, oysters, and sediments from Chinhae Bay, Korea)
- B.S. Earth and Marine Sciences (19871993), Hanyang University, Korea (Graduation Research Project: Nutrients in river water before and after precipitation)
Recent Publications (out of a total of xxx)
- Hwang H-M, BL Buchholz, TM Young, JA Pederson. (2013) Assessment of the contribution of modern carbon sources to size-resolved atmospheric particulate matter and time-resolved bulk PM10 using measurement of radiocarbons and molecular markers. Science of the Total Environment (Submitted).
- Hwang H-M, B Stanton, T McBride, MJ Anderson. (2013) PAH body residues and lysosomal membrane destabilization in mussels impacted by Dubai Star bunker fuel spill in San Francisco Bay. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (Submitted).
- Hwang H-M, RS Carr, GN Cherr, PG Green, ED Grosholtz, L Judah, SG Morgan, S Ogle, VK Rashbrook, WL Rose, SJ Teh, C Vine, SL Anderson. (2013) Sediment quality assessment in tidal salt marshes in northern California: an evaluation of multiple lines of evidence approach. Science of the Total Environment 454-455:189-198.
- Buchholz BA, P Zermeno, H-M Hwang, TM Young. (2010) Measuring radiocarbon in submicron size fractionated particulate matter on aluminum impact disks. Radiocarbon 52:278- 285.
- Kayhanian M, A Vichare, PG Green, C Alaimo, H-M Hwang, J Signore, M Troxler, D Jones, J Harvey. (2010) Water quality evaluation of leachate produced from pavement speciemens under controlled laboratory conditions. Road Materials and Pavement Design 11:9-28.
- S Bhandari, J Seo, H-M Hwang, D Bennett, I Hertz-Picciotto (2012) High molecular weight PAHs (MW 252 to 302) in indoor dust. Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 33rd Annual Meeting.
- H-M Hwang, B Stanton, T McBride, MJ Anderson (2011) PAH body residues and lysosomal membrane destabilization in mussels impacted by T/V Dubai Star oil spill. Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 32nd Annual Meeting.
- H-M Hwang, HS-Kim, PG Green, TY Young (2011) Trace metals in biosolids and biosolid amended soils in dairy farm land. Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 32nd Annual Meeting.
- H-M Hwang, HS Kim. (2011) Solid-Solid and Solid-Air-Solid partitioning of phthalates in the indoor environment. Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 32nd Annual Meeting.
- H-M Hwang, S-G Lee (2011) Environmental fate of glyphosate in broom-infested Mt. Tamalpais soil. Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 32nd Annual Meeting.
Evaluation of alternative abrasives and road sweeping/vacuuming as source control BMPs for load reduction of fine sediment particles and particle associated phosphorus in urban roadway stormwater (PI, $277,060 from US Department of Agriculture Forest Service; 2011 2013)
Assessment of the impacts of biosolid application on groundwater and soil quality and bioaccumulation of constituents of concern in pasture grass (Co-PI, $85,000 from Solano County, CA; 2010 2011)
Endocrine disrupting chemicals in indoor dust (Subcontract, $310,000 from NIH; 20092011)
Environmental decay of glyphosate in broom-infested Mt. Tamalpais soils and its transport through stormwater runoff and soil column infiltration (PI, $49,997 from Marin Municipal Water District, CA; 2009 2010)
Source identification of fine sediments, N, and P in highway stormwater runoff in the Lake Tahoe Basin (Co-PI, $553,000 California Department of Transportation; 20082011)
Organic contaminants in steelhead from the Columbia River (Subcontract, $55,000 from U.S. Army Corps of Engineers; 20082009)
Assessment of the contribution of contemporary carbon sources to size-resolved and timeresolved atmospheric particulate matter in Sacramento, California (PI, $100,000 from California Air Resources Board; 20072008)
Removal of dissolved trace metals in stormwater runoff using low-cost adsorbents (Co-PI, $120,000 from California Department of Transportation; 2005 2006)
Source identification for particulate matter and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in stormwater runoff using radiocarbon (Subcontract, $50,000 from California Department of Transportation; 2005 2007)
Identification of wastewater input to Clear Lake, California, by measuring caffeine (Subcontract, $5,000 Clear Lake County; 20052006)
Organic contaminants in tidal salt marsh in California and sediment quality assessment using multiple lines of evidence (Subcontract, $55,000 from Pacific Estuary Ecosystem Indicator Research Consortium Director; 20032005)
2004 Ph.D. (Forest Resources), Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS.
2000 MSc (Soil Science & Agricultural Chemistry), Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University, Hyderabad, India.
1997 BSc (Agriculture), Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University, Hyderabad, India.
2017 to Present Associate Professor, Dept. Environmental and Interdisciplinary Sciences, Texas Southern University, Houston, TX.
2011 to 2017 Assistant Professor, Dept. Environmental and Interdisciplinary Sciences, Texas Southern University, Houston, TX.
2014 to Present Director, Environmental Toxicology Program, Texas Southern University, Houston, TX.
2013 to 2016 Visiting Summer Faculty, Oak Ridge National Lab (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN.
2009 to 2011 Research Scientist, Department of Geology, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH.
2004 to 2009 Postdoctoral faculty, Department of Geology, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH.
Dr. Maruthi Sridhar Balaji Bhaskar, an Associate Professor in Department of Environmental and Interdisciplinary Sciences, began working at TSU in September of 2011. Before coming to TSU, he worked as a research scientist and postdoctoral faculty in the Department of Geology at Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio. He earned his Ph.D in Forest Resources from Mississippi State University in Starkville, Mississippi and his MS in Soil Science & Agricultural Chemistry and BS in Agriculture from Acharya N.G.Ranga Agricultural University, in Hyderabad, India. He has strong research experience and interests in use of Geospatial technology (Remote sensing and GIS) in environmental sciences and was awarded with five patents for his work on remote sensing.
Dr. Bhaskar’s research interests include the application of remote sensing and geospatial techniques for environmental planning and management, landscape ecology, human and environmental health monitoring and economic development. He developed several satellite models to monitor the soil and water quality, contaminant fate, environmental disasters, invasive plant species and evapotranspiration. He served as a principal investigator on several research grants funded through NSF, NASA, DOE and USDA during last 6 years at TSU. Dr. Bhaskar has more than 93 research publications as peer reviewed research articles, book chapters, conference abstracts and made numerous presentations at national and international conferences and meetings.
Research Expertise and Interests
- Agricultural and Environmental monitoring using Remote Sensing and GIS.
- Land Use and Land Cover change, Global Environmental change detection.
- Imaging Spectrometer and Hyperspectral data acquisition and analysis.
- Monitoring the effects of Heavy metal and Nutrient Pollution on Soil, Plant and Atmosphere.
- Soil Contamination, Remediation and Restoration.
Publications and Presentations
- Maruthi Sridhar BB, Han FX, Su Y. 2017. Effects of Heavy Metal Accumulation on Plant Internal Structure and Physiology Revealed by Spectral Reflectance. In Advances in Phytoremediation of Environmental Pollutants, Ram Chandra (Ed). CRC-Press, Taylor and Francis group, NY. (In Press).
- Maruthi Sridhar BB, Han FX, Vincent RK. 2014. Remote sensing of nutrient concentrations of soils and crops in biosolid amended soils. In Applied Manure and Nutrient Chemistry for Sustainable Agriculture and Environment, He Z and Zhang H. (Eds.). Springer Press, NY.
- Nagler P, Maruthi Sridhar BB, Olsson AD, Glenn E. 2011. Hyperspectral remote sensing tools for quantifying plant litter and invasive species in arid ecosystems. In Hyperspectral Remote Sensing of Vegetation, Thenkabail, P.S., J.G. Lyon, A. Huete. (Eds.), ISBN: 9781439845370, CRC-Press, Taylor and Francis group, NY.
- Maruthi Sridhar BB, Vincent RK. 2010. Mapping and estimation of chemical concentrations in surface soils using LANDSAT TM satellite imagery. In Satellite Communications, Nazzareno Diodato (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-307-135-0, Sciyo, Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/articles/show/title/mapping-and-estimation-of-chemical-concentrations-in-surface-soils-using-landsat-tm-satellite-imager.
Refereed Journal Publications
- Rosenzweig J, Maruthi Sridhar BB, Shishodia S. 2017. The impact of using Geographic Information Systems Technology on student’s understanding of epidemiology. American Biology Teacher (In Press).
- Bhandari S, Maruthi Sridhar BB, Wilson BL. 2017. Effect of land cover changes on the sediment and water quality characteristics of Brays Bayou watershed. Water Air & Soil Pollution 228: 1-14 (In Press).
- Maruthi Sridhar BB, Witter JD, Wu C, Spongberg AL, Vincent RK. 2014. Effect of biosolid amendments on the metal and nutrient uptake and spectral characteristics of five vegetable plants. Water Air & Soil Pollution 225: 1-14.
- Wu C, Spongberg AL, Witter JD, Maruthi Sridhar BB. 2012. Transfer of wastewater associated pharmaceuticals and personal care products to crop plants from biosolids treated soil. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 85: 104-109.
- Maruthi Sridhar BB, Han FX, Diehl SV, Monts DL, Su Y. 2011. Effect of phytoaccumulation of arsenic and chromium on structural and ultrastructural changes of brake fern (Pteris vittata). Brazilian Journal of Plant Physiology 23 (4): 285-293.
- Tangestani MH, Jaffari L, Vincent RK, Maruthi Sridhar BB. 2011. Spectral characterization and ASTER-based lithological mapping of an ophiolite complex: A case study from Neyriz ophiolite, SW Iran. Remote Sensing of Environment 115: 2243-2254.
- Maruthi Sridhar BB, Vincent RK, Roberts SJ, Czajkowski K. 2011. Remote sensing of soybean stress as an indicator of chemical concentration of biosolid amended surface soils. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation 13: 676-681.
- Maruthi Sridhar BB, Vincent RK, Clapaham WB, Osterberg J, Neale CMU, Watts DR, Sritharan SI. 2010. Mapping saltcedar (Tamarix ramosissima) and other riparian and agricultural vegetation in the Lower Colorado River region using multi spectral LandsatTM imagery. GeoCarto International 25 (8): 649-662.
- Maruthi Sridhar BB, Vincent RK. 2009. Mapping and estimation of phosphorus and copper concentrations in fly ash spill area using LANDSAT TM Images. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 75 (9): 1030-1033.
- Maruthi Sridhar BB, Vincent RK, Witter JD, Spongberg AJ. 2009. Mapping the total phosphorus concentration of surface soils using LANDSAT TM data. Science of the Total Environment 47: 2894-2899.
- Su Y, Han FX, Maruthi Sridhar BB, Monts DL. 2008. Phytoextraction and accumulation of mercury in three plant species: Indian mustard (Brassica juncea), Beard grass (Polypogon monspeliensis), Chinese brake ferns (Pteris vittata). International Journal of Phytoremediation 10: 547-560.
- Maruthi Sridhar BB, Chapin TL, Vincent RK, Axe MJ, Frizado JP. 2008. Identifying the effects of different construction practices on the spectral characteristics of concrete. Cement and Concrete Research 38: 538-542.
- Maruthi Sridhar BB, Han FX, Diehl SV, Monts DL, Su Y. 2007. Effects of Zn and Cd accumulation on structural and physiological characteristics of barley plants. Brazilian Journal of Plant Physiology 19 (1): 15-22.
- Maruthi Sridhar BB, Vincent RK. 2007. In situ spectral reflectance measurements of a Microcystis bloom in Klamath Lake, Oregon. Journal of Great Lakes Research 33: 279-284.
- Su Y, Maruthi Sridhar BB, Han FX, Diehl SV, Monts DL. 2007. Effect of bioaccumulation of Cs and Sr natural nuclides and impact on foliar structure and plant spectral reflectance of Indian mustard (Brassica juncea). Water Air & Soil Pollution 180: 65-74.
- Maruthi Sridhar BB, Han FX, Monts DL, Diehl SV, Su Y. 2007. Spectral reflectance and leaf internal structure changes of barley plants due to phytoextraction of zinc and cadmium. International Journal of Remote Sensing 28 (5): 1041-1054.
- Maruthi Sridhar BB, Han FX, Diehl SV, Monts DL, Su Y. 2007. Monitoring the effects of Arsenic- and Chromium- accumulation in Chinese brake fern (Pteris vittata) using microscopy and near infrared spectral reflectance. International Journal of Remote Sensing 28 (5): 1055-1067.
- Han FX, Patterson WD, Xia Y, Maruthi Sridhar BB, Su Y. 2006. Rapid determination of mercury in plant and soil samples using inductively coupled plasma atomic emission spectroscopy, a comparative study. Water Air & Soil Pollution 170: 161-171.
- Maruthi Sridhar BB, Diehl SV, Han FX, Monts DL, Su Y. 2005. Changes in plant anatomy due to uptake and accumulation of Zn and Cd in Indian mustard (Brassica juncea). Environmental and Experimental Botany 54: 131-141.
- Su Y, Han FX, Maruthi Sridhar BB, Monts DL. 2005. Phytotoxicity and phyto accumulation of trivalent and hexavalent chromium in Brake fern. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 24 (8): 2019-2026.
- Han FX, Su Y, Maruthi Sridhar BB, Monts DL. 2004. Distribution and bioavailability of trivalent and hexavalent chromium in contaminated soil. Plant and Soil 265:243-252.
- Han FX, Maruthi Sridhar BB, Monts DL, Su Y. 2004. Phytoavailability and toxicity of trivalent and hexavalent chromium to Brassica juncea L. Czern. New Phytologist 162: 489-499.
- Su Y, Maruthi Sridhar BB, Han FX, Monts DL, Diehl SV. 2008. Effect of bioaccumulation of Cs and Sr natural isotopes on foliar structure and plant spectral reflectance of Indian mustard (Brassica juncea). Proceedings of the Waste Management Symposium, Phoenix, AZ.
- Monts DL, Su Y, Han FX, Maruthi Sridhar BB, Waggoner CA, Plodinec MJ. 2005. Investigation of the efficiency of mercury uptake by selected plant species. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Environmental Remediation and Radioactive Waste Management, Glasgow, Scotland.
- Maruthi Sridhar BB, Diehl SV, Su Y, Monts DL, Han FX. 2003. Monitoring structural changes in plants during phytoremediation of Cr and As contaminated soils. Proceedings of Southeastern Microscopic Society Conference, Columbia, SC.
- Maruthi Sridhar BB, Diehl SV, Su Y, Monts DL. 2003. Monitoring the internal structure of barley plants subjected to metal phytoremediation. Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on In situ and on-site biremediation, Battelle, 2003, Orlando, FL.
- Su Y, Maruthi Sridhar BB, Monts DL. 2002. Monitoring the process of phytoremediation of Zn and Cd by barley (Hordeum vulgare) using visible and near-infrared diffuse reflectance spectrometry. Proceedings of the 9th Biennial International Conference on Nuclear and Hazardous Waste Management, Spectrum, 2002, Reno, NV.
- Maruthi Sridhar BB. (PI). Impact of landscape and environmental changes on the water quality of Galveston Bay, TX. 2016-2017, $20,000, Texas Space Grant, NASA Space Grant Consortium. (Funded).
- Maruthi Sridhar BB. (PI). Infusion of Geospatial Informatics to Enhance an Undergraduate Biological Science Program. 2016-2019, $399,999, NSF-TIP. (Funded – NSF Grant).
- Maruthi Sridhar BB. (PI). Spatial and temporal modeling of mercury fate and dynamics in East Tennessee 2014-2018, $39,996, Supplemental Grant, NSF-HBCU-UP. (Funded – NSF Grant).
- Maruthi Sridhar BB. (PI). Spatial and temporal modeling of mercury fate and dynamics in East Tennessee 2014-2018, $199,999, NSF-HBCU-UP. (Funded – NSF Grant).
- Maruthi Sridhar BB. (PI). Landscape level patterns of mercury contamination and bioaccumulation in East Fork Poplar Creek (EFPC) watershed, 2014-2015, $ 15,000. (Funded – DOE Grant)
- Maruthi Sridhar BB. (PI). Use of a geospatial database and model to map mercury distribution and transport in the East Fork Poplar Creek watershed, Oak Ridge, Tennessee, 2013-2014, $ 15,000. (Funded – DOE Grant)
- Maruthi Sridhar BB. (PI). Monitoring agricultural sewage sludge, 2012-2013, $10,860. (Funded – USDA subcontract through University of Toledo) Sub Award No. 10390057-TSU
- Vincent RK, Maruthi Sridhar BB. Calibration and validation of remote sensing data for the Lower Colorado River Region, 2007-2011, $56,000. (Funded – USBR subcontract through Central State University)
- Vincent RK, Maruthi Sridhar BB. Monitoring agricultural sewage sludge, 2010- 2013, $468,000. (Funded – USDA subcontract through University of Toledo)
- Vincent RK, Maruthi Sridhar BB. Monitoring agricultural sewage sludge, 2009- 2012, $101,765. (Funded – USDA subcontract through University of Toledo)
Environmental Science Seminar
Exxon Valdez and BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spills and Recommendations for Future Countermeasures
by Arloe Fontenot, B.S., Environmental and Interdisciplinary Sciences
2015-04-30, 06:00 PM in NSB 303H
Environmental Science Seminar
Opportunities for Interaction and Collaboration Between NIST and Students and Faculty from Texas Southern University
by Willie E. May, Ph.D. , Acting Director of the National Institute of Standards and Technology
2015-04-27, 06:15 PM in NSB 303H
Environmental Science Seminar
Air Pollution and its Impact on the Environment.
by Bernhard Rappenglueck, Ph.D., University of Houston Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
2015-04-22, 06:00 PM in NSB 303H
Environmental Science Seminar
Ph.D. Defense seminar: Phytoremediation of Soil Contaminated with Used Motor Oil (Green House Study
by Taofeek Olonode, EIS/ ETox PhD student
2015-04-16, 03:00 PM in NSB 303H
Environmental Science Seminar
New Insights in Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor Biology
by Cornelis Elferink, Ph.D., UTMB Pharmacology and Toxicology
2015-04-08, 06:00 PM in NSB 303H
Environmental Science Seminar
MS Thesis Defense: Evaluation of Antiproliferative and Cytotoxic Properties of Herbal Supplement SAABFAT6 on Human Colorectal Adenocarcinoma (HT29) and Human Alveolar Adenocarcinoma (A549) Cell Lines
by Syntia Kwende, B.S., Environmental and Interdisciplinary Sciences
2015-03-27, 02:00 PM in NSB 303H
Environmental Science Seminar
Mercury contamination and bioaccumulation trends in East Tennessee Watersheds
by Maruthi Sridhar Balaji Bhaskar, Ph.D., EIS
2015-03-25, 05:00 PM in NSB 303H
Environmental Science Seminar
MS Thesis Defense: Fate and Transport of Triclosan in Upper Brays Bayou, Houston, Texas
by Djene Keita, B.S., Environmental and Interdisciplinary Sciences
2015-03-20, 02:00 PM in NSB 303H