The College of Science, Engineering and Technology (COSET) is located at the western gate of Texas Southern University, on Ennis Street between Eagle and Wheeler Streets. TSU is near downtown Houston and both Wheeler and Cleburne Streets intersect Main Street. TSU is easily accessible from virtually anywhere in Houston via freeways and Metro, which has stops at the Spearman Technology Building and the Science Center Building.
The College of Science and Technology at Texas Southern University consists of nine departments located in both the Science Center and Technology Buildings:
Texas Southern University (TSU) is a true melting pot where people from all backgrounds come together. In our students, faculty, staff and alumni, it is clear that TSU is more than the sum of its parts. From beginnings as a regional historically black college to the international reach of today, we are well on the way to becoming one of the nation’s preeminent comprehensive, metropolitan universities. As we move forward through the 21st century, we remain committed in everything we do to become a force for positive change. We are fortunate to be located in the nation’s fourth largest city, with access to resources many institutions do not have.
TSU has offered courses in science and technology since becoming a degree granting institution in 1934. TSU’s predecessor, Houston College for Negroes, had a full complement of courses in the College of Arts and Sciences and the School of Industrial and Vocational-Technical Education by 1946. It was during this time that Heman Marion Sweatt applied for admission to the School of Law of the University of Texas at Austin. He was denied admission because of his race and subsequently filed suit against the State. Sweat’s actions prompted the Texas State Legislature to form Texas State University for Negroes in 1947 and use Houston College for Negroes as the starting school. This act made TSU the first, and therefore the oldest, state supported university in Houston. Texas State University for Negroes was renamed Texas Southern University in 1951.