Professor and Director of CTTR
TECH 401A | (713) 313.7924
email@example.com Curriculum Vitae
Lewis, Ph.D., educates students in fundamentals of transportation and urban transportation issues, as well as conducts operational and policy related transportation research. Prior to joining Texas Southern University in 1992, Lewis spent 15 years as manager and director of planning at the Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County (METRO). Lewis currently serves as appointee of Mayor Annise Parker to the Gulf Coast Rail District. She served as a METRO Board Member from 2002 to early 2004 and as Executive Assistant to Mayor Bill White for Transportation Planning 2005 to 2009. Lewis holds a Master’s degree in planning and the Ph.D. in Political Science with an emphasis in Public Policy and Public Administration.
- Ph.D., University of Houston, 1998, Political Science with emphasis in Public Policy and Public Administration.
- M.A., University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, 1976. Urban Planning with emphasis in Transportation Planning,
- B.A., University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, 1973. Sociology and Elementary Education.
- Transportation Planning and Policy
- Public Transit Operations
- Homeland (Transportation) Security
- Public Involvement
- Transit Supportive Development/Transportation and Land Use Interactions
- TMGT 810 Fundamentals of Transportation
- TMGT 830 Urban Transportation Planning
- TMGT 842 Transportation Project Implementation
- TMGT 890 Seminar in Transportation
- TMGT 899 Thesis
Selected Research Funding:
- July 2015 to August 2017, Texas Department of Transportation, Texas Business and Opportunity Development (TBOD) ($289,998)
- 2015 to 2016, Texas Department of Transportation, Public Involvement Training ($25,799)
- 2015 to 2016, Distribution from Regional and High Speed Rail ($40,000)
- March 2015 to December 2015, North Central Texas Council of Governments. Assessment of Express Bus Services ($62,000)
- October 2014 to August 31, 2015, Texas Department of Transportation, Public Involvement Training ($40,000)
- April 2013 to June 2014, Transit System Reimagining, Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, ($175,000).
- September 2012 to August 2013, Developing a Methodology to Project Intercity Commuting, Southwest Region University Transportation Center. ($85,000)
- September 2010 to August 2013, Public Involvement, Texas Department of Transportation, $160,000
- March 2008-2014, Center for Excellence for Natural Disasters, Coastal Infrastructure and Emergency Management (DIEM), Department of Homeland Security via Louisiana State and North Carolina Universities ($163,423)
- June 2010 to June 2013, National Transportation Security Center of Excellence, Department of Homeland Security. ($1.3 Million)
- September 2010 to August 2011. Transit Strategies for Transit Agency Role in TOD ($84,000)
- September 2010 to August 2011. Reviewing Marketing Strategies that Increase Public Transit Ridership
- September 2010 to August 2011. Megaregions Workshop ($30,000)
- April 2010. Environmental Justice and Toll Roads. North Central Council of Governments. ($39,997)
- October 2008 to September 2009, Study of Unmanned Vehicles, US Army, ($100,000)
- Originally to August 2007, Amended to August 31, 2008, United We Ride, Texas Department of Transportation ($20,000)
Selected Papers And Publications
- Lewis, Carol Abel, Sandra Onyejekwe, Garlin Wynn, Brandon Mosley (March/April 2015). Options for improving evacuation: Investigating an unconventional strategy and expanding route options using TRansportation ANalysis and SIMulation System, Journal of Emergency Management, Vol.13, No. 2, pp 173-181.
- Hassell, Vincent, Roderick Holmes and Carol Abel Lewis (January 2015), A Methodology to Predict Intercity Commute Volume: Focus on Texas Megaregion Communities, Transportation Research Board. Washington, D.C. 15-4890.
- Lewis, Carol Abel, Charles R. Glass and Veronica Green (Autumn/Fall 2013). Review of Recommendation on Southwest Airlines’ Request for Expansion of Federal Inspection Facilities at William P. Hobby Airport and the Impact of Dividing International Service between Two Airports. Journal of Airport Management. Vol. 7. No. 4. 407-421.
- Stamber, K.L., Ehlen, M.A., Pepple, M., Welk, M.E., Deng, H., Lewis, C.A., Clark, L., Bryant, J.R. and Jasek, D. (2013) ‘Comparative analysis of the transportation of select petrochemicals’, Int. J. Critical Infrastructures, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp.226–242.
- Lewis, Carol Abel and Gwendolyn C. Goodwin (2012). Impact of Bus Transit Centers on Values of Nearby Single-Family Residential Land in Houston, Texas. Transportation Research Record. Volume 2276., pp. 72-77.
- Lewis, Carol Abel (2012). “Emergency Evacuation and Transportation Planning,” in Lessons From Hurricane Ike, ed. Philip B. Bedient, Texas A & M University Press, College Station, Texas, pp. 94 – 105.
- Lewis, Carol Abel, Sandra Onyjekwe, Darlene Collins and Kenneth McGaughay (August 2012) Transit Agency Strategies that Encourage Mixed Uses around Stations, Southwest Region University Transportation Center. 476660-00054-1
- Lewis, Carol Abel, Sara Land and Bethlehem Afefayne (August 2012). Moving the Concept of Megaregions into Transportation Planning: Workshop Proceedings, Carol Abel Lewis, Sara Land and Bethelhem Afefayane, Southwest Region University Transportation Center. 476660-00051-1
- Lewis, Carol, Gwendolyn Goodwin and Sascha Sabaroche. (2011) “Public Involvement Study”0-6662, Texas Department of Transportation http://www.txdot.gov/about_us/commission/2010_meetings/documents/minute_orders/dec15/2.pdf
- Lewis, Carol (2010) ‘An Inventory and Assessment of Models Used to Predict Emergency Evacuation and Consideration of Increasing Policymaker Involvement”, Risks, Hazards, and Crises in Public Policy. Vol. 1: Iss. 3 <http://www.psocommons.org/rhcpp/vol11/iss3/art2/>.
- Lastrape, Krystal and Carol Abel Lewis (October 2010) An Evaluation of the Effects of Transit Oriented Development in a Suburban Environment. 476660-00048-1.
- Lewis, Carol Abel, Brandon Mosley and Garlin Wynn, (July 2010) Thinking Critically About Models Used to Predict Emergency Evacuation in Gulf Coast States. 476660-00041-1.
- Lewis, CA and Gwen Goodwin (February 2010) A Statistical Analysis of the Relationship Between Land Values and Freestanding Bus Facilities. SWUTC 10/167372.
- Joskowicz, Isaac F., Carol Abel Lewis, Anthony P. Voigt, “Mobility Measurements of the City of Houston Flextime Initiative”. ITE Conference Papers. August 9, 2009, San Antonio, Texas < http://trid.trb.org/view.aspx?id=924795>
- Moses, Sharon, J.D., Carol Abel Lewis and Krystal Lastrappe (June 2009), Moving Toward Implementation: An Examination of the Organizational and Political Structures of Transit-Oriented Development. SWUTC/09/473700-00050-1.
- Lewis, Carol Abel (2008) “ Work Place Flexibility: The Underused Tool in the Transportation Box.” The Texas Lyceum – Transportation Infrastructure: Establishing Public Policy Priorities. http://www.texaslyceum.org/media/staticContent/journals/Journal_December08. pdf
- Lewis, Carol A., Laura Higgins, Judy Perkins, Benjamin Zhan. (2008). Regional Public Transportation Solutions for Intercity Commute Traffic. Texas Department of Transportation 0-5345-3.
- Lewis, Carol A. et. al. (2007) Noise Compatible Planning Workshops. Federal Highway Administration. www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/noise/index.htm
- Lewis, Carol A. et. al. (2006) Regional Transit Coordination Brochure. Texas Department of Transportation. Project 0-5345-1.
- Lewis, Carol A. (2005) Guide to Best Practices in Public Involvement: 2004-2005, Federal Highway Administration, Office of Natural Environment.
- Moeng, Thabo and Carol A. Lewis (December 2005) An Assessment of Criteria Used for Transit Friendly Decision-Making, Southwest Region University Transportation Center, SWUTC/05/167322-1
- Davis, Tammye and Carol A. Lewis. (2005) An Examination of Successful Mixed Use in TOD, Southwest Region University Transportation Center, SWUTC/05/473700-00046-1,
- Lewis, Carol A. (January 2004). Transit-Oriented Development Workshop: Synthesis, Southwest Region University Transportation Center, SWUTC/04/473700-00044-1.
- Voted as Member of Houston Region Transportation Advocacy Group (TAG)
- Appointed April 2010 to Gulf Coast Rail District by Houston Mayor Annise Parker
- Named to the Hurricane and Emergency Evacuation Task Force by Governor Rick Perry, Harris County Judge Robert Eckles, and Mayor Bill White
- Named by Houston Mayor as Executive Assistant for Transportation Planning; and Chair, Planning Commission, 2004
- Metropolitan Transit Authority Board of Directors, April 2002 through April 2004
- National Academic Advisor, Conference of Minority Transportation Officials, October 1999-2004
- Transportation Committee, Greater Houston Partnership, September 2003
- Transportation Advisory Committee to the Transportation Policy Council, Houston Galveston Area Council, served as Chair 2002, 1998 to Present
- Founding and Steering Committee Member, Blueprint Houston, 2002 to 2004
- Technical Advisory Panel to the Research Management Committee, Texas Department of Transportation, 1996 to Present
- Transportation Research Board, Land Use and Development Committee
- Technical Advisory Committee, Travel Rate Improvement Program, Greater Houston Partnership (2000/2001)
- President, Board of Directors, Houston Achievement Place (1998-2000)
- Elected Texas Southern University Faculty Senate (1993-1997 )
- Chairperson, Congressman Nick Lampson’s Transportation and Infrastructure Task Force (2000/2001)
- Ad-Hoc Harris County Non-emergency Transportation Committee (1993 to 2000)
- Advisory Board Member, Red Cross Transportation Services, 1995 to Present
- Transportation Research Board, Project Panel H5
- Member, Board of Directors, Trees for Houston