COSET Undergraduate Research Summer Undergraduate Program
The COSET will support about 15 qualified students for this 10-week (June 3-August 9) research program. Undergraduate students enrolled at least one year in any departments in the COSET can apply for SURP. Overall GPA should be 3.0 or higher. Students must contact faculty members in the COSET to select a mentor. Any faculty member in the COSET can mentor an undergraduate student.
Interested students should submit application materials by April 26, 2019, either as an electronic copy (email attachment) or as a hard copy. All applicants will be interviewed between April 30 and May 2, 2018.
Students and their mentors will be notified of acceptance decision by May 3, 2019
Expectations and Deliverables:
- Students must attend an orientation session on June 3, 2019 in Science Building room 303H.
- Students must attend a laboratory safety training workshop on June 3, 2019.
- Students are required to attend weekly seminars and workshops designed to teach how to better prepare resumes, posters, manuscripts, and other documents.
- Students in the program are expected to work for approximately 25 to 30 hours per week.
- Students are required to submit weekly progress reports to Dr. Hyun-Min Hwang by Friday of each week.
- All students are required to give oral presentations on their research results at the symposium scheduled for August 9, 2019. Students are also required to present posters at TSU Research Week 2020, which will be schedule for the last week of March 2020.
- Each student is required to submit a 4-5 page research manuscript for publication inthe 2019 Proceedings of TSU COSET SURP.
Stipend and Compensation:
- Each participating student will receive a $2,000 stipend.
- Students who do not complete all the program requirements, or drop out of the program will not receive the stipend.
- Each faculty mentor will receive support (up to $1,500) for supplies.
For more information and application materials, please contact Dr. Hyun-Min Hwang (firstname.lastname@example.org; 713-313-1028)
All applicants are required to submit:
- A completed application form that must be typed (download here) ,
- An unofficial TSU transcript,
- A statement of agreement
- Two (2) letters of recommendation (one letter of recommendation must be written by a SURP mentor), and
- A one-page personal statement on what your long-term goals are and what you expect to accomplish through participating in this program.
Application materials should be sent by email (email@example.com) or delivered to Dr. Hyun-Min Hwang’s office, TSU Science Building room 203A.
- Completed application form
- Two letters of recommendation
- One page of personal statement on research objectives
- Unofficial TSU transcript
Please download and print the flyer, and also the application forms.